The Nguzo Saba is a state of mind, a way of looking at and understanding our community. But thoughts fall short without action. Parents and teachers can help the student find ways of practicing the Nguzo Saba in everyday life. You don’t need any special tools to practice the Nguzo Saba but If you have the Kinara’s Children Activity Pack you can use the included score card to keep track of which principles have been practiced. Rewards can be given for each row completed with a special reward for filling the whole card.
Here are some examples of how the Nguzo Saba can be put into action.
- Research and report on a historical figure, event or organization of the Pan-African diaspora-Kujichagulia
- Research and report on a local hero or group working positively in your community-Imani, Kujichagulia
- Learn and recite a passage from the a religious text of your choice-Imani
- Write a poem, song, or create artwork expressing positive community ideals-Kuumba, Nia
- Research and report on an inspiring artist poet or musician-Kuumba
- Get together with a friends to start a book club-Nia, Kujichagulia
- Get together with friends to run a lemonade stand or other money making venture-Ujamaa, Umoja
- Get a piggy bank, save up, and purchase something of value for your family-Ujamaa, Umoja
- Patronize a black owned enterprise-Ujamaa, Nia
- Pickup trash around the neighborhood-Ujima, Nia
- Join an organization beautifying your neighborhood-Ujima, Umoja, Nia
- Tell your parents you love them and why-Umoja, Imani
- Take part in a protest-Umoja, Kujichagulia, Nia
- Create a study group or tutor a classmate-Nia, Kujichagulia, Ujima
- Go on a field trip to an art museum, science museum or nature realm-Kuumba
- Research your family tree-Umoja
- Volunteer at a non-profit organization doing positive things in the community-Nia, Ujima
- Help a senior family member with their day to day tasks (carrying groceries, washing dishes, mowing the grass)-Umoja, Ujima
- Support a struggling artist–Ujamaa, Kuumba
Be creative, come up with your own ideas and post them at Facebook.com/CreatedbyCrosby or email me at email@example.com and I’ll add them to the list.